Folder Reviews and Interviews
During folder reviews, the applicant's folder is carefully scrutinized, including the supporting documents such as the personal statement, letters of recommendation (eLORs), official transcripts, work experience, and familiarity with animals and the veterinary profession. All Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico residents' application folders are reviewed; however only the Top 200-300 Out of State applicants will have their folders reviewed. The Out of State Top Applicant List is determined based off of an overall score calculated with the Required Courses GPA, Last 45 Credit Hour GPA and GRE score.
The Faculty Committee on Admissions and Scholastic Standing, LSU SVM faculty members and outside professional practitioners review an applicant's folder, evaluating the following areas:
- Letters of Recommendation and Personal Characteristics
- Work Experience and Animal Experience
- Knowledge of Animals and Function of the Profession
- Communication Skills (Quality of Written Statements)
- Contribution to the Diversity of the Class
- Transcript Assessments (Course Load, Withdrawals, Quality of Elective Courses, etc.)
- Awards, Honors and Extracurricular Activities (Civic, Scholastic, Leadership, Military, Breadth of Interests
The folder review scores are included in arriving at a final decision of recommended students for the new incoming class.
A certain number of qualified applicants may be invited to interview from each applicant pool (Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico residents). In the past, roughly the top two-thirds of eligible Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico applicants are interviewed. However, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to decide annually whether or not it will conduct applicant interviews. Applicants will be notified before the end of October whether or not interviews will take place.
When conducted, interviews feature a three-member panel consisting of a member of the Admissions Committee, an LSU SVM faculty member, and an outside professional practitioner conduct a personal interview of the selected applicants, evaluating the following areas:
- Knowledge of the Profession (Economics, Opportunities, Trends, etc.)
- Knowledge of Animals (Equine, Companion Animal, Exotics, Farm Animal, etc.)
- Maturity / Motivation
- Professional Image
- Oral Communication Skills
- Professional Ethics
- Entrepreneurial / Business Knowledge
- Awareness of Rigors & Stress of Curriculum
- Work Ethic
The interview scores factor into selecting students for the new incoming class.
Are All Applicants Reviewed?
All Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico residents' application folders are reviewed; however, only the top 150 Out of State applicants will have their folders reviewed. The 150 Out of State applicantd are determined based off of an overall score calculated with the Required Courses GPA and Last 45 Credit Hour GPA.