Think you've found a meteorite?
Every year the LSU Department of Geology & Geophysics is contacted by hundreds of people who think they have found, inherited, or purchased a meteorite. We are NOT able to issue any type of certificate of authenticity or proof that what you have found (inherited or purchased) is in fact a meteorite.
Please see the resources listed below for additional information, for testing services, and for the registration database.
- Geology.com - What are Meteorites?
- Institute of Meteoritics - Identifying Meteorites
- International Meteorite Collectors Association - Finding Meteorites
- METEOR Lab - Testing Services
- Planetary and Space Science Centre University of New Brunswick - Earth Impact Database
Examples of meteorites found
All images courtesy Wikipedia Commons