The Mission of the Department of Political Science is
- to provide LSU students with the knowledge and analytical skills necessary to be responsible citizens, contributing to the wellbeing of the state and the nation;
- to contribute to a deeper understanding of politics and government through faculty research and publications;
- to serve as a resource of expertise for national, state, and local government;
- to provide political science majors with the education required to pursue successful careers in government, academics, and the private sector.
- to provide graduate training for PhD and M.A. students in political science that reflects state of the art substantive and methodological instruction in all specialization areas, and to produce graduates with superior research, teaching, and professional skills.