How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA or LOSFA application by July 1 each year
- Receive an official award letter from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) during late summer after high school graduation
Award Amount & Requirements
Students are notified of their TOPS level in their initial eligibility letter.
|TOPS Honors Award
|TOPS Performance Award
|TOPS Opportunity Award
Students must meet the following requirements each semester to receive payment for TOPS:
- Be enrolled full-time on the 15th day of class each semester
- Earn 24 credit hours each year over the fall, winter session, spring, spring intersession, and summer semesters
- Continuous enrollment through consecutive fall and spring semesters
- Maintain the required GPA for specific TOPS award
- 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each fall, intersession or summer semesters
- The following GPA’s will be checked at the end of each summer semester:
- Below 24 hours earned – 2.00 GPA
- 24 - 47 hours earned – 2.30 GPA
- 48 or above hours earned – 2.50 GPA
- Performance or Honors Recipient – 3.00 GPA
- The Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) calculates a specific GPA for TOPS eligibility. This GPA does not recognize LSU’s plus/minus grading scale therefore your TOPS GPA will differ from your LSU cumulative GPA. You may reference the GPA calculator below to assist you with TOPS GPA calculation. This is provided as a courtesy and does not guarantee TOPS or any other qualification.
A TOPS credit is applied to the fee bill of those who are eligible. Disbursement of TOPS funds takes place mid-semester.
- All regular TOPS requirements must be observed for study abroad use
- Students must be enrolled for full time hours; if host institution is on quarter system then the student must make sure hours earned transfer into full time LSU hours
- If the student returns with fewer hours than expected, the student will be responsible for repaying the TOPS funds that were awarded to them
- Students should complete an enrollment verification form after the 14th day of class and return to Financial Aid & Scholarships to verify TOPS eligibility
- Student must submit their transcript to LSU by appropriate deadline or TOPS will be
returned and the current anticipated credits will be cancelled.
- Fall Deadline: April 1
- Spring, Summer, and Yearlong Program Deadline: November 1
- Student participating in a study abroad program through another Louisiana university should notify Financial Aid & Scholarships; TOPS will be disbursed from the host institution
Special Notes about TOPS
- Students may file a TOPS Exception form to appeal a TOPS cancellation or suspension. Exception forms should be sent directly to LOSFA.
- TOPS can only be used within one year of high school graduation
- Remaining semesters of TOPS eligibility can be used for graduate school if used within one year