LSU Mourns the Loss of World-Renowned Professor Jonathan P. Dowling
Professor and Hearne Chair of Theoretical Physics
Ph.D., 1988 - University of Colorado-Boulder
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
Horace C. Hearne, Jr. Institute of Theoretical Physics
Quantum Science and Technologies
Principal areas of research concern quantum science and technologies, including: quantum electrodynamics, quantum optics, quantum information theory, photonic band-gap materials, and foundations of quantum mechanics. Current research work focuses on linear optical approaches to quantum information processing, metrology, and imaging; cavity quantum electrodynamics; and photonic band-gap structures for thermal emissivity control.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- NASA Space Act Award for Invention of Quantum Lithography
- Willis E. Lamb Medal for Achievement in Quantum Optics and Laser Science
- National Research Council Technical Advisory Board on the Army Research Laboratory
Editorial Board Member of:
- Quantum Measurement & Quantum Metrology
- The European Physical Journal of Quantum Technology
Current and Select Publications
- Schrödinger's Killer App: Race to Build the World's First Quantum Computer; Dowling, Jonathan P.; (Taylor & Francis, 2013).
- Bardhan, Bhaskar Roy; Jiang, Kebei; Dowling, Jonathan P, "Effects of phase fluctuations on phase sensitivity and visibility of path-entangled photon Fock states," Physical Review A 88; Article Number: 023857 (AUG 29 2013).
- Gard, Bryan T.; Cross, Robert M.; Anisimov, Petr M.; Lee, H.; Dowling, Jonathan P, "Quantum random walks with multiphoton interference and high-order correlation functions," Journal of the Optical Society of America B 30; Pages: 1538-1545 (JUN 2013).
- Seshadreesan, Kaushik P.; Kim, Sejong; Dowling, Jonathan P.; Lee, H., "Phase estimation at the quantum Cramer-Rao bound via parity detection," Physical Review A 87; Article Number: 043833; (APR 25 2013).
- Horrom, Travis; Singh, Robinjeet; Dowling, Jonathan P.; et al., "Quantum-enhanced magnetometer with low-frequency squeezing," Phys. Rev. A 86, 2, 023803 DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.86.023803 (AUG 3 2012).