Coates Research Travel Award
Research Travel Awards of up to $2,400 are made to students who need extended research time at other institutions or venues. Travel must be directly related to the student’s proposed and approved research, and all expenditures must follow University regulations. This award is available only to Ph.D. students who have successfully completed the general examination in the Department of Physics & Astronomy. Students may receive this award once during their Ph.D. studies. Selection criteria include proposal content, the major professor’s recommendation letter and the overall scope of the proposal.
- Applications submitted by April 10 will receive full consideration for research travel during the next fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). After April 10, applications will continue to be received and reviewed until an award is given.
- The student must fill out the application form below and submit all the additional materials outlined in the form.
- Please submit applications electronically – via the online link below.
- Students selected for the award must turn in a one-page summary of their trip.
- Students are responsible for following all LSU procedures for travel authorization and reimbursement.
Charles E. Coates Memorial Fund
Charles E. Coates’ legacy of dedication to graduate study has been preserved over the years by the commitment, achievement, and high caliber of each class of graduate students. Their achievements could not be realized without the assistance of the Charles E. Coates Memorial Fund, established in 1964 in memory of Dr. Charles E. Coates. During his tenure, he served as head of the Department of Chemistry, dean of the Audubon Sugar School, and chair of the Graduate Division. The Coates Fund assists full-time chemical engineering, chemistry, and physics & astronomy doctoral students in their research endeavors through four awards: outstanding dissertation, conference travel, research travel, and scholar research.