GCPA emPOWERing Women Scholarship
The Center for Energy Studies is pleased to offer the GCPA emPOWERing Women Scholarship. Provided by the Gulf Coast Power Association, the GCPA emPOWERing Women scholarship will be awarded to one female LSU student seeking a career in the electric power industry. Preference will be given to a student, at the sophomore level through post-graduate, focusing on electric power industry related fields of study. The scholarship is awarded in the amount of $2,500.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to at least one female who will be enrolled full time as a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in the upcoming fall semester, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Graduating seniors are not eligible. While the award will preference either electrical or mechanical engineering majors, students from a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply, provided they are able to show past and/or current dedication to a power-industry related career and/or past power industry-related research and/or coursework.
Application & Essay Requirements
Each applicant is required to submit an essay of no more than one single-spaced page of type expressing her educational and career goals as they relate to the electric power industry.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Must be U.S. citizen or a foreign national with permanent residency.
- GPA/academic achievement.
- Essay: Quality of content and writing and interest in a power-industry-related career.
- Extracurricular activities related to or demonstrating past and ongoing interest in a power-related career.
- Recipient will agree to provide name, résumé, and contact information and agree that the essay submission will be made available to the public.
- Recipient will complete GCPA's Scholarship Acceptance Agreement and return by May 11 of the year the scholarship is awarded.
- Recipient will attempt to attend at least one Center for Energy Studies/GCPA event or another Center gathering, such as a conference or lunch meeting.
Required Application Information*
*NOTE: Applications are not being accepted at this time.
To apply, email the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Email subject: GCPA emPOWERing Women Scholarship
- Zip Code
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- LSU ID Number
- Classification (Sophomore, Junior, Senior)
- Degree Pursuing (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate)
- Minor or Concentration
- Electric Power Industry Related Research
- Electric Power Industry Related Work Experience
- Attach an Essay of no more than one single-spaced page of type expressing your educational and career goals as they relate to the electric power industry. It should be formatted as a Microsoft Word or PDF document.
- Consent: By submitting this information, I authorize that all information provided
on this application, including any and all personal and academic data may be shared
with the CES scholarship committee and the scholarship's sponsor for review. If awarded
the scholarship, I acknowledge that all of the above referenced data may be included
in public announcements of the award. Your data will be securely retained indefinitely.
To learn more about privacy at LSU, please see the LSU Privacy Statement.