Licensure Disclosures

Each state has different professional licensure and certification requirements. LSU ensures its educational programs meet the requirements of the various accrediting agencies and works to confirm if programs meet the educational prerequisites of their specific professional licensure or certification outside the state of Louisiana. Other licensure requirements outside the state of Louisiana may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc. Students who are considering an academic program that may allow them to pursue professional licensure in their state are strongly encouraged to check their state’s information and contact the appropriate licensing agency to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of their state.

This page was created as a starting point to help connect prospective students, applicants, and current students to this information. By clicking on the program of interest below, you will be redirected to the program’s webpage where you will find additional information about the preparation provided by the program. The program webpage also has contact information for program personnel that can help answer specific questions in this regard and who will do their best to help connect you to the credentialing requirements of the state in which you aspire to practice.

Students who plan to pursue licensure outside of Louisiana should be aware that state licensure requirements are subject to changes. Licensure information is reviewed and updated on this site in May of each year. While a program may originally meet the educational requirements for licensure, changes in requirements could impact the program's ability to meet any new educational requirements. Students should always check with their state licensure board to confirm licensure requirements.

Important note for relocating during the course of a program: Prospective and current students should keep in mind that licensing and authorization requirements vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether that student can continue in the course, meet the eligibility requirements of that state, and/or receive financial aid funding. If students are considering relocating or have already relocated, they should contact their program’s advisor to check for authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.

For information on the institutional process for filing distance education appeals as well as contact information for each state's SARA portal, please visit the Complaint Procedures website.

institutional procedures for programs that lead to certification/licensure

College of Agriculture

BS in Agricultural Education

MS in Agricultural Education

BS in Natural Resource Ecology & Management

BS in Nutrition and Food Sciences (Dietetics)

College of Art & Design

Bachelor of Architecture

Master of Architecture

Bachelor of Interior Design

Bachelor of Landscape Architecture

Master of Landscape Architecture

E.J. Ourso College of Business

BS in Accounting

Master of Accountancy (MAcc)

College of Engineering

All Engineering Programs (Undergraduate and Graduate) 

College of Human Sciences and Education

BS in General/Special Education, Grades 1-5 (Dual Certification)

BS in Elementary Grades Education, Grades 1-5

BS in Early Childhood Education (Birth to Kindergarten Teacher Certification)

BS in Early Childhood Education (PK-3 Teacher Certification)

B-K Alternative Certification Only

PK-3 Alternative Certification Only

BS in Kinesiology (Health and PE Teacher Certification) 

M.Ed in Gifted Education

Holmes M.A.T. in Elementary Education

Holmes M.A.T. in Secondary Education (Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, or Social Studies)

M.Ed in Educational Leadership

M.S. in Athletic Training

Bachelor of Social Work

B.S. in Child & Family Studies (Child Life Concentration)

Master of Social Work

Master of Library & Information Sciences (School Librarianship specialization)

Graduate Certificate in School Librarianship

STEM Alternative Certification Pathway

College of Humanities & Social Sciences

BA in English - Secondary Education (Geaux Teach)

BA in French - Secondary Education (Geaux Teach)

BA in History - Secondary Education (Geaux Teach)

BA in Spanish - Secondary Education (Geaux Teach)

MA in Communication Sciences & Disorders

PhD in School Psychology 

PhD in Clinical Psychology

College of Music & Dramatic Arts

Music Education Certification Only 

Bachelor of Music Therapy

Bachelor of Music Education

Master of Music - Music Education

Ph.D. in Music Education

College of Science

MS in Medical Physics & Health Physics

PhD in Physics (Medical Physics)

Post-doctoral Certificate in Medical Physics

BS in Biological Sciences (Geaux Teach)

BS in Chemistry (Geaux Teach)

BS in Mathematics (Geaux Teach)

BS in Physics (Geaux Teach) 

School of Veterinary Medicine

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

MS and PhD in Biomedical and Veterinary Medical Sciences

Graduate Certificate in Biomedical and Veterinary Medical Sciences