Performance Management: Classified & Unclassified Employees
The campus Performance Evaluation System (PES) represents a continuous process of planning, communication, evaluation, development and recognition and reward between the employee and the supervisor within the department. The annual evaluation provides an opportunity to formally review each employee as part of the Performance Management System.
The PES is designed to ensure that performance is properly defined and evaluated for each employee and feedback is provided year-round. Managing performance is an important year-long collaborative process and is crucial to achieving LSU's Flagship Agenda.
- There will be no changes in Workday to the Annual Evaluation and Planning Session for Classified employees.
- Annual Evaluations for all Classified employees will be conducted on July 1, 2023, through August 18, 2023.Employees employed for less than 90 days (hired on August 3,2023 and thereafter)
should receive the rating of Not Evaluated on their Annual Evaluation. Annual
- Evaluations will NOT be canceled for these employees.
The standard Planning Sessions for all Classified employees will be conducted on September 1, 2023, through September 30, 2023.
The performance period for Unclassified and Other Academic employees will be based on a calendar year, rather than a fiscal year. Please be advised that a transition period will take place from July 1 to December 15, 2023.
The new evaluation period for Unclassified and Other Academic employees will occur from November 1 through December 15, 2023. You can expect the following changes during this time:
- Major Responsibilities: weighting changed to 70%
- Competencies: weighting changed to 30%
- Goals and Development Items: no changes
- Ratings: there will be a 5-point rating scale: Exceptional, Successful, Unsuccessful, Needs
Improvement, and Not Evaluated. Employees employed for less than 90 days (hired on
August 3, 2023 and thereafter) should receive the rating of Not Evaluated on their
Annual Evaluation. Annual Evaluations will NOT be canceled for these employees.
- The Not Evaluated can be used for the Competency of "Leading Others" if the employee does not supervisor employees, student workers, or interns.
- Routing: a second-level evaluator (manager’s manager) will only be required for Unsuccessful and Needs Improvement. This will assist in faster completion during a shortened evaluation period. If a second-level evaluator would like to provide feedback to an employee, it will need to be given to the evaluating manager before the evaluation is submitted in Workday.
- During the transition period of July 1, 2023, through December 15, 2023, Planning Sessions will only be conducted for new hires and must be completed within 30 days of the new employee starting with LSU.
- The standard Planning Session period for Unclassified and Other Academic employees will be conducted on January 1 through January 31, 2024.
- Development Items will be retired during this time and will no longer part of the process.
- Routing: a second-level evaluator (manager’s manager) is not required. This will assist in faster completion during a shortened evaluation period. If a second-level evaluator would like to provide feedback to an employee, it will need to be given to the manager before the Planning Session is submitted in Workday.
Effective January 1, 2024, HRM is conducting a thorough review of the Mid-Year Review processes to enhance the effectiveness for both managers and employees. Once this review is complete, additional information about Mid-Year Reviews will be shared.
For any questions, please contact HRM Performance Management at email@example.com.
The planning session is for manager to set major responsibilities, goals, development plan, and review the competencies for employees. If the planning document for an employee is not completed, most sections for the annual performance evaluation will be blank.
*Please note: planning session must be completed by the manager within 30 days of the effective date of the following cases: a new Classified and Unclassified/Other Academic employee is hired or an employee begins another position (lateral move/promotion/demotion/change job).
Mid-Year Review is an optional step of the performance evaluation system. Managers can request the Midyear Review by emailing the request firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the Midyear has been initiated, the Manager will receive a Workday inbox action item that will provide step-by-step instructions on how to complete the midyear review.
Annual performance evaluations will be initiated by HRM. Managers will receive a Workday inbox action item that will provide step-by-step instructions on how to complete the annual review.
Please note: the information provided in the Planning Session will cover through each steps (Midyear Review and Annual Performance Review). If the Midyear or Annual Performance Review is blank indicates that the Planning Session was not completed.
Faculty Annual Review
Information related to Faculty Annual Reviews can be found on the Office of Academic Affairs website.