Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Holder of the Chevron Professorship in Engineering
3290K Patrick F. Taylor Hall
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Google Scholar Profile - Schoegl
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- Diplom-Ingenieur, Mechatronics, Johannes Kepler Universität Linz (Austria), 2000
The Schoegl Research Group focuses on research of combustion technologies and diagnostics.
- Premixed combustion and ignition phenomena (theory, experiments and simulations);
- Computational diagnostics for detailed reacting flow simulations (CEMA);
- Combustion with conjugate heat transfer and microcombustion;
- Limited view tomography in optical combustion diagnostics;
- Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy, focusing Schlieren imaging;
- Thermochemical energy conversion of alternative fuel sources (fuel reforming, gasification).
- Materials processing for ceramic manufacturing and microfluidics (co-extrusion, embossing);
- Mechatronics & instrumentation.
- Impact of Conjugate Heat Transfer on Combustion Behavior. The project involves both numerical and experimental work and investigates the impact of heat recirculation on flame stabilization and combustion instabilities at elevated temperatures and pressures (Funding: LaSpace REA).
- Tomographic Tunable Diode Laser Spectroscopy (TDLAS). The main focus of the project is the implementation of a TDLAS system for in-situ measurements of combustion temperatures and species concentrations using tomographic inversion techniques (Funding: LaBoR RCS).
- Fabrication of Microcombustors via Polymer Co-Extrusion. Small-scale combustion devices require non-traditional manufacturing. Structured ceramic assemblies are fabricated using powder precursors, which has a range of applications beyond combustors (Past Funding: CoE FIER).
- Gasification of Alternative Energy Sources. This long-term project involves the construction of a bench-scale spouted-bed combustor suitable for conversion of renewable energy sources to syngas. Preliminary studies investigate spouting behavior and non-catalytic and catalytic operation (Funding: LSU EDA).
M. Ayoobi and I. Schoegl. Dominant chemical source and reaction modes in lean premixed H2/air flames, Proc. Combust. Inst., 35:787-794, 2015.
A. Guha and I. Schoegl. Tomographic laser absorption spectroscopy using Tikhonov regularization, Applied Optics, 53:8095-8103, 2014.
K. Sharmin and I. Schoegl, Two-step debinding and co-extrusion of ceramic-filled PEBA and EVA blends, Ceramics International, 40:14871-14879, 2014.
I. Schoegl , Natural parameterizations of flame structure and heat release in lean premixed CH4/air combustion, Combust. Flame, 161:1735-1743, 2014.
A. Guha and I. Schoegl. Tomographic imaging of flames: assessment of reconstruction error based on simulated results, J. Propulsion and Power, 30:350-359, 2014.
K. Sharmin and I. Schoegl. Optimization of binder removal for thermoplastic co-extrusion of ceramic structures, Ceram. Int., 40:3939-3946, 2014.
M. Sharma and I. Schoegl. A comparative assessment of homogeneous propane reforming at intermediate temperatures, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 38:13272 -13281, 2013.
J. Gibson, M. Ayoobi and I. Schoegl. Behavior of preheated premixed flames at rich conditions, Proc. Combust. Inst., 34:997–1005, 2013.
E. L. Belmont, I. Schoegl and J. L. Ellzey. Experimental and analytical investigation of lean premixed methane/air combustion in a mesoscale counter-flow reactor, Proc. Combust. Inst., 34:3361–3367, 2013.
I. Schoegl, Radiation effects on flame stabilization on flat flame burners, Combust. Flame, 159:2817–2828, 2012.
I. Schoegl and J. L. Ellzey. Numerical investigation of ultra-rich combustion in heat exchangers, Combustion Science and Technology, 182:1413-1428, 2010.
I. Schoegl, S. R. Newcomb and J. L. Ellzey. Ultra-rich combustion in parallel channels to produce syngas from propane, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 34:5152-5163, 2009.
I. Schoegl and J. L. Ellzey. A mesoscale fuel reformer to produce syngas in portable power systems, Proc. Combust. Inst., 32:3223-3230, 2009.
M. J. Dixon, I. Schoegl, C. B. Hull and J. L. Ellzey. Experimental and numerical conversion of liquid heptane to syngas through combustion in porous media, Combust. Flame, 154:217-231, 2008.
I. Schoegl and J. L. Ellzey. Superadiabatic combustion in conducting tubes and heat exchangers of finite length, Combust. Flame, 151:142-159, 2007.
I. Schoegl, P. Sharma and M. J. McNenly. Ignition and extinction of gaseous fuels in the FREI regime, in revision
M. Ayoobi and I. Schoegl. Premixed Flame Dynamics in Narrow 2D Channels, in revision.